Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Complementary Color Scheme

This is a wall quilt that was at the chemo infusion center where ed went yesterday.

What struck me about it (as I got to look at it for about 6 hours) was that its complementary colors weren't doing it any big favors .  but i couldn't figure out exactly what to do to fix it.  the circles are that asian-y fabric that has gold fish/carp on a dark blue background on it.  They're the feature, but actually they seem to me to be the bug.  But what, given the complementary scheme, do you replace them with?  dark blue, light blue, medium blue won't work, but neither will orange of any shade.  what do you to to place a third color with complementary ones?  (if i were looking at the magazine article, maybe it would tell me.  but i'm not, and i can't actually visualize something that would work.  can you???

Judy

3 comments:

  1. I think the blue is too overpowering maybe the border should of been something different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many mid tones for my taste. The whole thing seems a little muddy to me. There was a big opportunity to play with some translucencies in this piece and that would have really given it some punch. If she wanted to stay with the gold/orange/yellow theme it might have worked better pushing the blues to a more turquoise palate. But then it might have taken on a southwestern flavor? But keeping it simple I would think that changing out some of the mid tones for lighter and darker values would help tremendously. I agree with Sybil that the border is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a solution, just a comment. The fish fabric has both yellow and blue in it, so it disappears. If those circles are the focus of the work, that fabric is not right. And I agree that the border is the wrong fabric. The yellow circles on the outer edge show up, but I cannot think of a colour/fabric that would work for the inner circles without adding a third colour.

    ReplyDelete